Mark has practiced law in Texas for over 20 years. His passion is to represent clients charged with serious criminal offenses, in order to not just navigate their legal problems, but also to help improve the clients’ overall wellbeing. Mark started his career as an Assistant District Attorney for Harris County, Texas where he rose to Chief Prosecutor in a County Criminal Court at Law. Afterwards, he served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Southern District of Texas, Houston Division, where he prosecuted firearms and drug trafficking, terrorism, export violations, and fraud, among other violations of federal law.
In parallel with his legal career, Mark served as a Special Agent (Reserve) in the United States Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI) where he commanded an AFOSI detachment at Incirlik AFB, Turkey. He was responsible for criminal investigations, force protection activities, and counterintelligence for the base. Mark’s training and experience as an investigator sets him apart from other lawyers. Those skills allow him to truly dig in and learn the client’s full truth which he aggressively presents to tell his clients’ stories and achieve clients’ goals.
In the private sector, Mark has conducted internal investigations and provided counsel in designing, implementing, or assessing corporate compliance programs related to the United States Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the Bank Secrecy Act, fraud, investigations best practices, and codes of business conduct.
Mark represents clients in all manner of Texas state-law misdemeanors and felonies and federal offenses, including mail fraud, bank fraud, wire fraud, bank robbery, drug trafficking, money laundering, healthcare fraud, firearms offenses, murder, sexual assault, theft, fraud, assault, driving while intoxicated, and other regulatory violations and criminal charges.
Representative significant matters
- Represented a client in federal court who was accused of exchanging Bitcoin without complying with United States Treasury regulations (charge dismissed)
- Represented a senior executive of a Houston, TX area government agency in connection with an FBI corruption investigation
- Represented a client charged with money laundering and delivery of a controlled substance (probation revocation motion dismissed)
- Represented a capital murder suspect during an investigation (client not charged)
- Prosecuted multiple international firearms trafficking conspiracies in coordination with the United Kingdom Crown Prosecution Service, the Colombian National Police, and the Mexican PGR
- Prosecuted a Houston-area resident for a terrorism-related offense for attempting to provide material support to Al Qaida
- Prosecuted a transnational Asian organized crime organization involved in drug trafficking, money laundering and gambling
- Led the global internal investigations and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act compliance programs for Cameron International, a Fortune 500 oil and gas services company based in Houston
- Investigated multiple major internal fraud cases for numerous companies and obtained federal charges against employees
- Conducted internal investigations for corporate clients into accounting restatements, financial statement fraud, sex discrimination, fraud, conflict of interest code of conduct violations
- Designed the Title IX internal investigations program for a public college and major research institution in the Houston area
- Designed a process, leveraging information technology, for a global energy company to automate corruption risk assessments of its third-party business partners and to process due diligence on risky partners
- Drafted the Code of Business Conduct for a global engineering and construction company based in Japan